Learn about the disease, illness and/or condition Pregnancy: Bleeding During the First Trimester including: symptoms, causes, treatments, contraindications and conditions at ClusterMed.info.
Pregnancy: Bleeding During the First Trimester
|Pregnancy: Bleeding During the First Trimester|
Pregnancy: Bleeding During the First Trimester Information
Bleeding during pregnancy definition and facts
When to call your doctor if you have bleeding during pregnancy
Any time you notice bleeding during any stage of pregnancy, it is appropriate to call your doctor. It is particularly important to seek medical attention if the bleeding is heavy (like a menstrual period) or accompanied by pain or cramping.
Is bleeding during pregnancy normal?
Vaginal bleeding during the first three months of pregnancy is relatively common and usually is a cause of concern for the mother. Women wonder how much bleeding during early pregnancy is normal. While early bleeding may indicate the presence of a serious problem, this is frequently not the case. In fact, approximately 20% of pregnant women experience light bleeding or spotting during the first trimester of pregnancy. Most women go on to have uncomplicated pregnancies and ultimately deliver a healthy baby.Spotting: Spotting usually refers to a few drops of blood that would not cover a pad or panty liner. Bleeding refers to blood flow that is heavy enough to require wearing a pad. If bleeding occurs during the first trimester, a panty liner or pad should be worn so that you are able to get an idea of the amount of bleeding that is occurring and can tell the health-care professional. However, you should not use a tampon in the vagina during pregnancy or douche.Changes in the cervix: The normal hormone production during pregnancy can cause changes to the cervix, rendering it softer and more prone to bleeding. Also, a cervical polyp (a benign overgrowth of tissue) may form, and this may bleed more easily during pregnancy. In both cases, spotting or light bleeding may be provoked following sexual intercourse or a pelvic examination.Infection: A vaginal infection may cause spontaneous vaginal bleeding. The bleeding may be accompanied by an abnormal vaginal discharge.
What are other common causes of bleeding during the first trimester of pregnancy?
What are serious causes heaving bleeding during the first trimester of pregnancy?
Vaginal bleeding during early pregnancy may sometimes indicate a serious problem. Serious causes of bleeding in pregnancy include:Miscarriage
What causes bleeding during the second and third trimesters of pregnancy?
Bleeding or spotting later in pregnancy can be due to a number of causes. Sometimes, having sex or even having an internal (pelvic) examination by your OB/GYN or Midwife can cause light bleeding. Problems with the cervix, including cervical insufficiency (when the cervix opens too early in pregnancy) or infection of the cervix, can lead to bleeding. More serious causes of bleeding in later pregnancy include placenta previa, preterm labor, uterine rupture, or placental abruption.
What is implantation bleeding during the first trimester? What are the symptoms and signs?
A common benign cause of bleeding may occur even before a woman realizes that she is pregnant. Many women bleed when the fertilized egg attaches to the lining of the uterus. This is called implantation bleeding. It frequently occurs when the next menstrual period is expected. Signs of implantation bleeding are light bleeding or spotting around the time of the expected menstrual period. This does not happen in every pregnancy.
Diseases & Illnesses Definitions Of The Day
- Sexual Response Cycle (Phases of Sexual Response) ‐ Introduction to the sexual response cycle, Phase 1: Excitement …
- Loeys-Dietz Syndrome ‐ How is Loeys-Dietz syndrome diagnosed?, How is Loeys-Dietz syndrome treated? …
- Epstein-Barr Virus (Infectious Mononucleosis) ‐ How is mono transmitted or spread? What is the incubation period for mono? What is the contagious period for mono? …
- PUVA Therapy (Photochemotherapy) ‐ How effective is PUVA therapy?, How is PUVA therapy administered? …
- Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Surgery) ‐ How does one prepare for eyelid surgery?, How long is the recovery time for eyelid surgery? …
- Congenital Dysplastic Angiectasia (Klippel-Trenaunay-Weber Syndrome) ‐ Alternative names for Klippel-Trenaunay-Weber (KTW) syndrome …
- Colitis ‐
- Clicking in the Ear (Tinnitus (Ringing in the Ears)) ‐ Can tinnitus be prevented?, Does acupuncture treat tinnitus symptoms? …
- Ephelides (Freckles) ‐ Are freckles inherited?, Are there home remedies for freckles? …
- Upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (Endoscopy) ‐ How do I prepare for endoscopy?, What are the risks of endoscopy? …